Thursday, January 15, 2009

Opportunity

Ok. I'm done sulking now. I am still really busy with my 19 credits this semester so posts will still be few and far between, but I am confident we will all survive:) As for the sulking, even though I was mostly joking I was being a little lazy and less than grateful for what is really a pretty amazing opportunity for me. I just read an article about 1300 girls in Afghanistan who defy the Taliban everyday to attend school and the consequences of that action. Here is the link if you want to read the story, which I highly recommend. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/14/world/asia/14kandahar.html?_r=2
Anyway, it snapped me right out of my sulking and made me realize how incredibly fortunate I am to be able to attend school at all. I won't get too sappy here but I am really and truly grateful for the knowledge that I have of my own worth and intelligence and that I was afforded that opportunity by virtue of being born where I was and to the parents that I have. I can't imagine how difficult life would be if you were made to believe your entire life that you were less than your male counterparts, less even than an animal. Wow. Those girls are really inspiring.
Anyway, they certainly changed my attitude about school. Three cheers for them!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

I can't remember if I told you already, but I love your background! Somehow I think it seems to fit you perfectly. That was a very interesting article. It is always so eye-opening to hear about experiences like that and like you said, it makes me so grateful for the amazing opportunities we have been given.

Have you heard of the book "Three Cups of Tea?" by Greg Mortenson? I found it fascinating and on a similar topic of this article. I think you would really like it. And I am sure you have so much spare time to just sit around and leisurely read, what, with 19 credits and all!

the Flammers said...

What an inspiring story! I have heard really good things about the book Rhonda recommended, so I'm recommending to myself that I should read it and then I'll give it to you to read. :D I know you're busy, but I'd love to see you sometime when you need a break from studying. Give me a call. 563-4192. Or call Lacey. She's about the only social life I have. :D Hope all is well. Good luck with studies.

Scott said...

What is wrong with you? this post makes me sad. and your blog looks gay. needs more evil beaver